Well and Septic Required Distances for USDA and FHA Loans
What are the required distances for well and septic on USDA and FHA loans?
Understanding USDA and FHA loan distance requirements between a well and septic are critical when determining eligibility and because it can be common for rural properties to have a well and septic, our topic today discusses the important measurements that need to be accounted for when determining minimum property eligibility for both USDA and FHA loans.
In today’s video, I’ll share the USDA and FHA distance requirements for wells and septic. Watch below and then download our FREE guide USDA Blueprint for Success. Our Blueprint is designed to walk you through the USDA process step-by-step!
USDA and FHA Loans Share the Same Well and Septic Distance Requirements
USDA loans follow FHA HUD Handbook guidelines. This means that USDA and FHA loans share minimum property requirements including the distance requirements for properties with a well and septic.
Below, are the HUD Handbook minimum distance requirements for existing properties with wells and sources of pollution. Please note, the following requirements are for existing properties and not for new construction homes or those on a public water system.
USDA and FHA Well and Septic Distance Requirements:
- A well or septic must be a minimum of 10 feet from the property line.
- A well must be a minimum of 50 feet from septic.
- A well must be a minimum of 100 feet from the drain field.
- The distance may be reduced to 75 feet if allowed by the local authority.
- If the property is adjacent to a residential property then local well distance requirements prevail.
- If the property is adjacent to non-residential property or roadway, then there needs to be a well separation distance of at least 10 feet from the property line.
- The distance requirements of the local authority will prevail if greater than what is stated in the HUD Handbook.
Be Aware of Well and Septic
Be aware that distances for well and septic are not customarily calculated until the sales contract is received and the loan application is in process.
Thus, letting us know of any concerns upfront is important for success. Please call (800) 806-9836 Ext. 280 or email SeanS@MPLX.org if you have any concerns so we can review your case and advise.
Don’t let the USDA and FHA distance requirements for well and septic overwhelm you… that’s what we are here for! While properties with wells and septic do have extra steps, our expertise is here to help open the door to homeownership!